USE THIS SIMPLE METHOD TO CREATE YOUR OWN MODERN MINIMALIST MACRAME WALL HANGINGS.
First, I have to tell you that I am NOT a skilled macrame artist. I love the beautiful, intricate art of macrame that has been having a huge revival the past few years, but I am not trained in the fine art of macrame knot tying.
What I have been loving are modern minimalist designs using rope on embroidery hoops. I have been enjoying making them and hope to provide you with clear, detailed instructions to help beginners create their own beautiful modern, minimalist macrame wall hangings. You do not need to invest a lot of time learning to be able to create some great macrame pieces.
Let’s get started!
MATERIALS TO MAKE MODERN MINIMALIST MACAME:
- CREAM MACRAME ROPE
- GREY MACRAME CORD (also comes in other colors)
- EMBROIDERY HOOPS or METAL CRAFT HOOPS
- GLUE GUN
- CRAFT SCISSORS
- RULER OR TAPE MEASURE
- EMBROIDERY FLOSS OR TWINE
DETAILED GUIDE TO MAKE MODERN MINIMALIST MACAME:
- Our 1st step is to cut all the pieces for the cream rope. Cut 14 strands of the cream rope 60 inches long. (I make the strands longer and then at the end cut to desired length and desired shape for bottom of the hanging.)
- Folding each strand in half, use a Lark’s Head knot to attach those 14 strands to the embroidery hoop. This will be the top of the hanging.
- Separate the 14 strands into the 7 on the left and 7 on the right. Move the right half out of the way and start using an overhand knot to tie each of the 7 strands on the left to the bottom of the hoop. I started with the strand on the right and worked towards the left. You will be tying them on the right side of the bottom of the hoop.
- Weave the 7 strands on the right through the 7 strands on the left. Start the the center strand and work to the right. Adjust them as you go to get them nicely & evenly spaced and lined up.
- Starting with the right most strand, repeat the process from step 3 to tie the other half of the strands to the bottom left of the embroidery hoop. Adjust them as needed to get all the strands lined up, looking neat & orderly.
- Cut 14 strands of the grey cord about 44 inches long. (You may need more strands depending on the size of your hoop and how wide your space is.) As you can see in my photo I cut mine a bit longer than needed, however, you do want it longer than the cream hangs down to allow you to cut the final shape into a V.
- Use a Lark’s Head Knot to attach the grey strands to the bottom of the hoop. Fill the remaining space. Cut more grey strands, if needed.
- Lay the hoop on a table and smooth out all the strands. Cut into a V shape.
- Use embroidery floss or twine to create a hoop to hang from on the top of the hanging.
- Use glue gun to put a small dab of glue on the 4 outer rope strands to prevent any slippage of the design.
Enjoy your Modern Macrame
*** Check back as I will continue to add more Modern Minimalist Macrame Plans to the blog! ***
CLICK IMAGE BELOW TO GO TO PLANS TO MAKE THIS MACRAME DESIGN:
Where to Buy:
If you love the look, but still dont want to bother making your own, head to our RECOMMENDED PRODUCTS PAGE to find similar macrame wall hangings you can purchase.
Check out how to make vintage Farmhouse Coat Racks:
Check out my easy DIY to make your own perfect bow:
Hello! You have found our illustrated guide on growing and caring for Native Sunflowers! We love all sunflowers here but the original Native species is by far our favorite. This is the...
Have you ever wondered what kind of soil you really have? Ever wondered where it really fell on the NRCS soil pyramid? Or are you looking to select the perfect spot for a vegetable garden, and...