Subway tile has been enormously popular for several years now. It is both very trendy and classic at the same time. To see some of my favorite subway tile options, check out my post on THE BEST BACKSPLASH CHOICES FOR YOUR KITCHEN. But, subway tile is not for everyone. Many people are looking for something that can also fit that sweet spot of being on trend, yet have a classic appeal and they are just not sure where to go to find that look.
I have gathered a few of my favorite alternatives to subway tile here for you. And, to make it really easy, they are all from Amazon! Be sure to check out my HOW TO PICK THE BEST SUBWAY TILE FOR YOUR KITCHEN post to help you with my 3 rules to help make selecting the right tile easy!
Beta Matte 2.44 in. x 5 in. Fish Scale Matte Ceramic Wall Tile
- The round shape of this tile can be an interesting visual to add to a room with a lot of hard lines from counters, cabinets, etc.
- I would consider this choice a bit more of a trendy selection, so take that into account. It still has classic appeal when choosing a neutral color, so I think it could hold the test of time well in the style department.
- This tile can add an element of fun & a little whimsy to your room.
Alexandria 5.5 in. x 6 in. Porcelain Floor and Wall Tile
- The Alexandria is a nice sized tile, I always suggest going larger with your tile choice for a more custom and elegant look and this fits the bill perfectly.
- It has some nice, handmade looking detailing to it, which I love.
- The tiles have some tonality to them, so this is a great option if you thought you wanted some type of pattern or multiple colors of tile. You will get some added interest to your backsplash with the shading of the tiles. (They do show a backsplash using several different colors of the tiles, but I am not suggesting to do that. Rather the individual tiles of the same color will give you some color variations themselves.)
Birmingham Hexagon 4 in. x 8 in. Glazed Ceramic Tile
- The Birmingham hexagon tile is a great choice if you like a subway tile, but want a little more interest that they added angles here provide.
- This tile works well installed vertically for a more modern look or horizontally for a more traditional look.
- The size is appealing as I always suggest going larger in your tile choice for a desirable visual flow that reduces business and clutter to the look of the backsplash area.
Kingston 4 in. x 4 in. Polished Ceramic Wall Tile
- The Kingston tile is a great choice if you are looking to add some pattern and interest to your backsplash, but want to stick with keeping it simple and not too busy looking.
- This tile comes in some gorgeous color tones & can add a beautiful accent to your kitchen.
- The 4×4 inch tile size keeps it classic and timeless, yet the color variations and handmade look to the tile add a sophistication to elevate your kitchen’s style.
For More Kitchen Inspiration Continue Reading
Designing a new kitchen or remodeling your existing kitchen?
Be sure to check out all the gorgeous inspiration in my WOOD OR WHITE CABINETS post. This will help you decide which is the perfect choice for your kitchen, as well as help you pick the other major elements in your kitchen to achieve the perfect balance between wood & white in your kitchen.
Have an outdated oak kitchen?
Learn how to update the kitchen while keeping your honey oak cabinets in my HOW TO UPDATE YOUR KITCHEN WITH OAK CABINETS WITHOUT PAINTING THE CABINETS.
PIN IT FOR LATER:
If you are looking to add some late-blooming native perennials to your yard, then New England Aster should be on your list! This beautiful pink-to-purple flower will be a late season nectar source...
For a tall, shapely shade tree that looks absolutely wonderful, look no further than Pin Oak. This popular landscaping tree grows fast, provides much shade, looks beautiful in the Fall, and has a...