Since having our second child, we have not found a suitable place to locate the baby monitor. (Side note: We love this monitor…we’ve gone through 2 or 3 duds and finally found this one we love…we have 2 cameras for it.) Her room is a bit smaller, and there is no ‘dresser’ in it, so our options were somewhat limited. We were keeping it on a shelf directly above her crib, and angling it downward. And this worked just fine until her little hands started grasping at the cable and knocking it down, which we knew was coming. So, we had taken to setting it on a small floating bookshelf that was just above the mattress height, but a few feet from the crib. Again, this worked well until our other child started ‘borrowing’ books! The camera would get knocked down time and again, and this was just generally not a good solution.
We really didn’t want to add another shelf into the wall just to hold a baby monitor, which is temporary. So, late one night while holding her and staring at the shelf I had an idea. I thought why not design a small shelf that can slide over here bookshelf wall? I could just use some scrap wood and it wouldn’t cost anything. As you will see this design is quite versatile, as if you had horizontal surface you could just as easily orient the slot sideways to slide on to that surface. This can be a great addition to the posters you hang in your baby’s room!
PIN IT FOR LATER:
- Hand Saw (cross cut)
- Coping Saw or Chisel
- Tape Measure
- Miter Box, or Miter Saw
- Wood Glue
- Paint / Primer
- SCRAP WOOD – I used a piece of 2×4, 1×4, and some square dowels that had ripped from a 1×2 previously. I also had some 45 degree square block that I had scavenged from a box of oranges.
Carefully measure the dimensions of where you want your bracket shelf to fit. I just used my finger initially, and it resulted in me having to enlarge the slot later with a chisel. Also, trace the profile of the baby camera/monitor you wish to mount, both the diameter and height. Also note the size and position of any power cords and where they enter the camera. Note all measurements, and either make a sketch of what you want with rough numbers.
I had a chunk of scrap 2×4 lying around that had been cut off at 45 degree angles. But cutting it off at 45 degrees is pretty easy to do even if you don’t have this. Based on my highly precise ‘finger’ measurements I cut a slot into it at a depth slightly shorter than the shelf height, using a coping saw to cut the bottom portion out. Then I pared away the waste with a chisel. However, after doing a test fit I realized that the shelf wasn’t 1/2″ thick, but closer to 3/4″. So I chiseled out some more material, taking care to keep the chisel straight. My final dimension was slightly larger than the shelf, as it needs to be able to slide on there. Plus, adding paint later will reduce the width slightly. Make sure this fits before proceeding.
I then cut the 1×4 to size and sanded it. In addition to that, I also hand planed it flat prior to cutting, as it was slightly cupped. I didn’t want the camera to wobble, as well as getting a nice, flat glue surface. Then, cut the dowels at 45 degree angles at the appropriate dimensions, and sanded the surfaces. Mitering the dowels is unnecessary, but just looks nicer.
Glue it up!
Now it is time for some glue. One note on gluing wood together, using other pieces of scrap in between your clamp and items your gluing is a good idea, as it will prevent the clamps from leaving marks on your bracket/shelf. Glue the mitered dowels together and secure with clamps. I did this just before bed and let it sit overnight. Follow this up by gluing the dowels to the 1×4 and secure with clamps.
Continue gluing pieces together by securing the 1×4 to the 2×4. At this point I had to get creative with my clamping, as gluing boards cut at 45 angles is a little tricky.
Finally, I glued the extra angle supports, again, getting creative using a combination of c-clamps and bar clamps, as the c-clamps can serve as platform for getting the other clamps secure.
That’s it – now just prime and paint it. This was really a nice little scrap project that solved a problem! If you try it out, or come up with some good ideas let us know!
Subscribe to get new content sent to your inbox:
Don’t forget to PIN it for later:
If you enjoyed this article, be sure to check out our easy & inexpensive Easy & Inexpensive DIY Farmhouse Style Poster Frames.
Late in the Summer if walking in the open woods or an abandoned field, you may notice a plethora of white flowers on top of a small tree or shrub. It will be identifiable as a vine, and may be...
Liatris is a genus of plants that is comprised of over 50 species! Most, if not all are native to North America. Many species of Liatris are sold in garden centers under various names such as...